Flood Insurance

Believe it or not, flood insurance is not included in your home, condo, or renters insurance coverage. It’s a separate, but just as important part of your plan. And you’ll want to make sure your home and belongings are protected from flooding, whether your home is right near a body of water or not.

What type of flooding is covered?

Flooding can happen for many reasons and at most times of the year in Connecticut. Some common reasons for flooding, all of which are covered under flood insurance, are:

  • Overflow of inland or tidal waters (due to excess rain or overflow)
  • Rapid/unusual accumulation of runoff or surface water from any source
  • Mudflow
  • “Storm surge” from a hurricane
  • Collapse of land along the shore or a lake as a result of water erosion (dependent on situation)

You may also need flood insurance to protect your business (non-residential building). State Wide can work with you to assess your unique needs, and find you the best flood insurance coverage at the best price.

Will I pay more in an area of high flood risk?

Premiums for flood insurance will vary based on location and risk. If you’re located in a low-risk area, you may be eligible for discounts and preferred rates.

Your premium will also vary based on the specific type of coverage needed, which our independent insurance agents at State Wide can discuss with you. And don’t wait to get coverage — flood insurance policies normally take 30 days to go into effect after purchase. Get a quote from State Wide today to protect your home.